Monday, February 14, 2011
Singles Awareness Day (S.A.D.)
It came to my knowledge this week that the popular synonym of Valentines Day, singles awareness day, spells SAD. First, it made me wonder if the person who coined that phrase knew that the acronym would spell that particular word (they probably did). Then it made me wonder, who decided that Valentines Day is such a terrible holiday? Sure, maybe not everyone has a significant other of the opposite gender to share the day with but that doesn't mean it has to be the worst day ever.
Here are the things that are great about Valentines Day no matter what your Facebook relationship status is.
1. Candy. Duh. Especially because on February 15th all of it will be at least 50% off.
2. Even if you don't have a boy/girlfriend it's fun to have a day specifically devoted to saying "I love you".
3. No one gets judged for acting like a child. No one frowns upon you for buying Batman, Care Bear, or holographic Disney princess valentines.
4. Cheesy love songs are completely acceptable for one day in the year.
5. If you're lucky enough to have a younger brother, sister, niece, nephew, son, daughter, etc. there is nothing funner than experiencing Valentines Day with them. It's fun to make valentines with them, help decorate their valentine box and tease them about who they have a crush on in their class.
6. Not all Valentines Days are like this, but at least this year the weather was perfect. What more could you ask for in February? Even if you hate the holiday you have to love today.