Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Time vacuum

I go to sleep at the same time every day. I wake up at the same time every day. Usually my schedule is pretty consistent. It goes like this: 
7:30 Wake up
8:00-11:00 Go to school
11:00-12:00 Come home/Eat Lunch
12:00-3:00 Schedule myself to do homework, but really I read, sleep, eat a second lunch, watch TV, sleep,waste time on the internet, or did I mention sleep?
3:00-4:00 Slowly wake up from that nap that I accidentally took.
4:00-7:00 Half-hearted attempts at homework
7:00-8:00 Dinner
8:00-11:30 Incredible, productive homework-time
12:00 Sleep

Why is it that the hours late in the evening are when I'm the most productive? I try so, so, so hard to do things during the middle of the day. I know, looking at that schedule, it looks like I purposely wast time. But really I usually do all of those things by accident. Usually I don't even remember falling asleep. I get woken up from my involuntary nap by a text message or a slamming door and am confused about how I ended up sprawled out on the couch. And then, since I took that nap, I have to slowly recuperate and become a living being again which, obviously, takes forever. But all of a sudden, once 7 or 8:00 hits, I turn in to a homework machine.

Sometimes I've wondered if it's the last minute panic of having an assignment due the next morning, but usually it's not. I do homework that's due in twoo days or work on a small portion of a project that's due in the future. So it's not that I'm a terrible procrastinator, usually, it's some other, unknown reason.

I would have so much more time in my life if I could get my homework done during that vacuum-like time suck called "the middle of the afternoon".

Maybe one day I'll be able to shift my four hour productivity window up a couple hours. Until then, I'll just keep taking inconvenient naps and watching more Friends marathons than I should. I love college.



No comments:

Post a Comment