Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Hunger Games


To say I exaggerate things would be an understatement. A severe understatement. But, in this case everything I say is completely rational and true.

The other day I was buying some shoes on Amazon and needed about $5 of merchandise to qualify for free shipping and since I would rather spend money on something I want than shipping I decided to get a book. This book in particular has a waiting list of 200 people (no lie, when I got put on the waiting list I was number 191). Since I would be in my mid to late 20's by the time I got to read the library's copy I just bought the book. It came in the mail yesterday and let's just say I did nothing all day. This is the best book of my Life!!!

I though about describing it in my own words but since I can't really summarize well because it's next to impossible for me to be brief I just decided to copy/paste.


"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capital surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capital is harsh and cruel and keeps the other districts in line by forcing them to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight-to-the death on live TV. One boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and sixteen are selected by lottery to play. The winner brings riches and favor to his or her district. But that is nothing compared to what the Capital wins: one more year of fearful compliance with its rules.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her impoverished district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before – and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love."

I literally couldn't put the book down all day. The only time I wasn't reading all wednesday evening when I went shooting for mutual, and while I was there I told everyone I came in contact with about the book. I finished it at 11:45 and wow, I am in awe that a book could almost tie Harry Potter for best book on earth.

It's like when you're watching an intense movie or TV show and you are so entranced in it that you don't notice anything around you and when a commercial comes on you literally can't handle waiting to see the rest. This is how the book is. It's almost as intense as TV. How cool is that? I would get to the end of the chapter and freak out a little because I wanted to know what happened next and then I would realize that all I had to do was turn the page.
Wow is all I can say

No comments:

Post a Comment